If you were to google healthy pancake recipe I can guarantee you’d find millions of hits with variations on similar ideas, designed to make pancakes that little bit more nutritious and healthy so you can enjoy them time and time again and feel good doing so! My recipe is nothing revolutionary but this is my absolute favourite in terms of texture and taste, i’ve experimented an awful lot and usually just wing it but this one deserved a write up!
The thing I love most about this recipe is how simple it is, I made this whilst at my grandparents so I had no fancy equipment or ingredients, just the basics that you could find in most kitchens! Here’s how I made it…
Ingredients (Serves 2)
2 ripe bananas
2 heaped tablespoons of wholemeal self raising flour (this is so important, this is what creates the amazing texture and flavour!)
1 heaped tablespoon of protein powder or equivalent, this is just to alter the flavour in any way if you want, for example if you particularly wanted chocolate pancakes, but feel free to omit this and use flour instead
- Mash the bananas in a bowl until they resemble a puree then add the eggs and mix well
- Add the flour and the protein if using, then mix well until you have a smooth pancake batter – you could use a blender to speed up this process but using a fork will work just as well
- Put a frying pan on low heat and add a little olive oil, spoon a heaped tablespoon of the mixture in at a time and spread slightly to give you the circular shape
- After a couple of minutes, flip the pancake and cook for another couple of minutes on the other side
- Repeat until you have used the rest of the mix and stack your pancakes with your toppings of choice – I like yoghurt, almond butter and berries!
What is your favourite pancake recipe?