Paella is such a delicious meal and ALWAYS takes me back to sitting by a pool or on a beach somewhere hot, but it’s never really been something I make at home. I’m not sure why I just never thought to make it. So on a night when there was a distinct lack of food in the house my boyfriend suggested throwing together a Paella and, as much as I hate to admit it, he got it spot on! My girl Katie and I chopped up all the veggies we had left, threw in the meat, spices and rice and were absolutely blown away by how delicious this was, hope you feel the same if you give it a try yourself!
There are so many health benefits to this dish, brown rice is full of selenium and magnese which reduce the risk of common illnesses and help the body synthesise fat. It is also a low GI carb and full of fibre, giving you energy and promoting weight loss. Turmeric is also well known for its host of benefits including anti-inflammatory properties and improving brain and memory function, perfect revision fuel.
1 cup brown rice
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1 cup king prawns
1 large red onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 cups garden peas, frozen works perfectly
2 cups sweetcorn, also frozen
1 red pepper, chopped
1 litre chicken stock
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sautee the leek and onion in a little coconut oil until soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add the spices and seasonings
- Add the pepper, chicken, chicken stock and rice, then mix well and cover
- Cook this for around 30 minutes on low heat until the rice and chicken have cooked, keeping an eye on the level of liquid at all times, you might need to add some more water
- Once nearly cooked, add the prawns and any veg with a short cooking time like the peas and sweetcorn
- Simmer for another 5 minutes or so then serve with fresh summer salad
Of course any vegetables could work in this, it’s such an easy dish to experiment with! Try any combinations you love and you could also add chorizo in at the start to give a bit of a kick if you have some!
As always, tag me in any recreations!