Bananas are such a staple food in my house – we have them for breakfast, snacks and we use them a LOT in baking – so when a recent batch went very brown very quickly, I used them to create these delicious high protein banana bread muffins. It’s really important to use super ripe bananas here to make sure you get the sweetness in the muffins.
4 Overripe bananas, mashed
250g Ground Almonds
2 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1tsp Baking Powder
1tbsp Almond Butter
Good splash of almond milk (to get the mix to the right consistency)
- Put all ingredients into a bowl minus the almond milk and mix really well, alternatively you could use a food processor
- Gradually add almond milk as required, you want the mix to be slightly runnier than your average cake so that the end result isn’t too dry
- At this point you can add any extra fillings you like: dried fruit, chocolate chips, nuts etc – I didn’t add anything but I topped mine with pecans before baking
- Then spoon the mixture into muffin cases in a muffin tin, this should make 12 decent sized muffins
- Bake in a 160 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until they have risen nicely and are golden brown on top
Enjoy warm or cold – I had mine with yoghurt and choc shot!