I have to admit I took inspiration from Nigella Lawson on this one, when I saw her create her ‘Meatza’ I knew I had to try it (and make a slightly healthier version!). I can honestly say the carby base wasn’t missed at all, and the turkey holds together really nicely so it doesn’t crumble away, making for the perfect mock pizza for whenever you crave it! Add any toppings which take your fancy and this midweek supper can be ready in 30 minutes.
500g lean turkey mince
Small handful oats
2 tbsp dried basil
1 garlic clove, chopped
½ tin plum tomatoes
1 small red onion, chopped
1 tsp coconut oil
Mozzarella (a couple of little slices is plenty)
Any other veg that you fancy!
- Heat the oven to 190 degrees
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic to soften for a couple of minutes, then add half of the basil and the tinned tomatoes and continue cooking until this reduces to a thick sauce, season as required
- Grease or line a round pyrex dish (or anything else that sort of size) and put in the mince, oats, remainder of the basil and a little seasoning. Mix together and pat it down to form the base of the pizza
- Add the tomato sauce on top of the turkey base and add any toppings you fancy – courgette, pepper, mushrooms, sweetcorn etc are all great here, and then add a little mozzarella for that Italian feel!
- Pop in the oven for around 25 minutes, then if you want to brown off the top slightly change to the grill setting for a couple more minutes
Enjoy! J x